We’ve all known the guy with the transmission issues that has the old car or truck that won’t go in reverse. He drives around until he can find the parking place where he can move forward. And while that is a personal choice, it makes for a very difficult time when driving about town.
The better option would be getting the transmission serviced and diagnosed to see what needs to be done to get it fixed. It doesn’t really matter what condition a vehicle is in there are two things that, if not working properly, will be a hindrance to you and the transmission is one of them.
Take a look at the list of item below that can help you figure out if you might have an issue with your transmission. Also take a look if you plan on doing any maintenance yourself because there are a few things you will want to pay attention to so your car or truck runs and drives well. If you don’t feel comfortable doing maintenance on your transmission just know that we can perform all types of transmission repairs & maintenance for you.
SIGNS OF TRANSMISSION FAILURE
- Do you feel your vehicle working hard or hard shifting when you drive?
- Do you feel the vehicle slipping (engine revs but vehicle doesn’t move) when you accelerate?
- Do you see any red transmission fluid leaking under the vehicle?
- If fluid appears brown or black it may need to be flushed. Most transmission fluid should appear bright red.
- Condition of fluid often determines the internal condition of the transmission. How long has it been since you have had the transmission fluid checked?
- NEVER overfill transmission fluid. Overfilling can cause seals to leak as well as damage to other components. Even though it sounds really simple, if you do not know what you are doing, please let a certified auto shop do this one for you.
- If you hear a clunking or whining noise coming from transmission area it may indicate damaged internal transmission parts.
It doesn’t matter if you have a manual (stick shift) or automatic transmission we can do the work and that includes installing clutches. You will want to get your manual transmissions serviced just like an auto transmission. All require service and fluid and it’s not true that manual transmissions are maintenance free. Don’t burn one up to prove me right.