One of the biggest concerns for today’s drivers is getting the best fuel economy out of your current vehicle; especially when you are driving an older model car or truck. There are several things that you can do to get better results out of your car but you must be diligent and follow the steps to get the best results. Here are the top 5 tips for better fuel economy giving you some great advise on how to get better mileage.
- Check the air pressure in your tires (ideally 35psi for most passenger cars). If you don’t know how to check the pressure in your tires, give us a call or talk to the counter person at your local auto store. We or they can show you what a tire pressure gauge looks like, how it works and where to look on your tire to find out how much air pressure is optimum for your particular tire.
- Regular oil changes help your engine run smoother inside. Believe it or not, most auto repair shops do not make money on oil changes. At Dale Jr.’s we know the value of keeping your car running right and keeping you on the road and that’s why we offer oil changes at the rate we do. This is one of the most important things you can do to keep your car or truck running well and to get the most out of the fuel you put in your vehicle.
- Clean out your vehicle. Every 100 lbs. in your car decreases your fuel economy by at least 2%. This means emptying out your trunk of everything with the exception of what you might need to change a tire and an emergency kit. If you have a truck, we know you might weight it down in the winter for traction, but if it’s not winter and the snow and ice is over, empty the bed and put the tailgate down. Just don’t back up into anyone!
- Fuel system treatment. We offer a throttle body service which allows air and fuel to flow properly. This is a very easy an inexpensive to accomplish. Call us and set up a time for us to get this done for you. Giving your car the right amount of air with the right amount of fuel is like feeding your body the right foods along with the correct amount of those foods with the right amount and kind of exercise. You do this right and you get peak performance.
- Oxygen sensors may lead to clogged exhaust or catalytic converter failure if not changed as needed. This is just getting in and checking to make sure these are working the way they should be working. Make sure your mechanic knows you want these tested the next time you take your car in. We hope you will bring it to us, but if not, just get this done to enhance your vehicles fuel economy.
Check out some do it yourself maintenance tips before you move on.